How much would you spend to warn of a killer gas?

How much would you spend to warn of a killer gas?

The vital role played by carbon monoxide detectors is highlighted in a decision by Lincoln City Council to spend £845,000 to fit one to every council home on its books, and to maintain them all for ten years.

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas produced by incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels. When it enters the body, it prevents the blood from bringing oxygen to cells, tissues and organs, and can kill in just a few breaths.

Carbon Monoxide DetectorThe City Council says that as a landlord it has a duty to make sure gas appliances are properly maintained, and that annual safety checks are carried out. It sees the installation of fire alarms and detectors, including its carbon monoxide detector installation programme, as an added layer of security to protect residents by ensuring that if there is a problem it is recognised early.

According to the Health and Safety Executive, 11 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning each year caused by faulty gas and flue appliances.
At present, 25% of Lincoln’s housing stock has been fitted with detectors. This accelerated programme will mean all council houses have a detector fitted by the end of March 2018.

Carbon monoxide isn’t just a danger in homes; it’s a hazard caravan and boat owners need to be aware of too. They can protect themselves through the use of CO Detecting Dots which give constant vigilance, and offer an ‘at-a-glance’ warning, since they turn black in the presence of the gas.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *