Dry powder fire extinguishersbarriehol
The ABC Dry Powder (or Dry Chemical) charged fire extinguisher is a multi-purpose fire extinguisher and can be used on Classes A, B & C fires. They can also be used on electrical fires but leave a residue that may be harmful to sensistive electronics.
Powder fire extinguishers are colour coded with a blue label. Dry Powder fire extinguishers work by chemical reaction with the fire causing the particles to expand , chemically inhibiting combustion and expelling the oxygen thereby smothering the flames. Specialist L2 and M28 powder extinguishers are available for metal fires
How to use a dry powder fire extinguisher:
- On fires involving either liquids in containers or spilled liquids, direct the nozzle towards the near edge of the fire.
- With the rapid sweeping motion drive the fire towards the far edge until all the flames are extinguished.
- On fires involving flowing liquids, direct the nozzle at the base of the flames and sweep upwards.
- On fires in electrical equipment, switch off the current if safe to do so and then direct the nozzle straight at the fire.
Where the equipment is enclosed, direct into any opening with the object of penetrating the interior.
- When the fire appears to be extinguished shut off the discharger and wait until the atmosphere clears. If any flame is then still visible, discharge again.